Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Christmas Blues.

It's been a hard couple of weeks for me as of late.

The strange thing I've learned about living in the city is that no matter how crowded and busy it is every time I walk outside, I somehow feel even more lonely than usual.

I've been schmopey, to say the least. I've cried over the littlest of things, I call my mom an exuberant amount (more so than I usually do), I'm sad, I'm unhappy, and I'm just not feeling my best self.

And I could blame it on a number of factors: finals, living alone (lots of time to spend over-thinking by myself), but most importantly, this holiday season. It should be a happy time of year, one filled with anticipation, love, and joy.

But I'm starting to realize something. I promote the power of positivity so much with everyone I meet. I encourage happy thoughts, looking on the bright side, and getting yourself out of the gutter.

Well if I can do it to other people, why can't I do it for myself? So I chose to put on a new set of lens today, to see the world in a different light, and let me tell you: what a difference.

It's something as simple as stepping back and looking at what you have. For me, there's a lot of things that I've pushed to the back burner that have the power to bring me joy. I landed my dream job, I've accomplished living in a brand new city all by myself, I get to go home in a couple of weeks and spend the loveliest time of year with my family whom I love so much, and I'm at a school that is helping me create the path of my future.

When you step back and look at things through a different view, it really changes your perspective. It is unparallel how true the idea of positive thinking really is. I experience it every day. And with the holiday season, the appreciation of what you have and not what you don't have is something that really clicked with me during my holiday blues.

Because in the end, it's your thoughts that determine how you live your life. You can't life a positive life with unhappy thoughts. You can't promote positivity to others if you continue to dwell in sadness and self-dissatisfaction. It takes one simple ingredient to change your attitude: positive thinking. And only you have the power to bring yourself out of that hole and into the sunlight.

So today, I put on my dance tee and got to grooving at my newfound happiness...







What I wore: black Long Tall Sally leather jacket, vintage rhinestone choker (used), black Kate Spade "Dance Till Dawn" tee, black Ted Baker midi skirt (I love my job!), and black Nike tennis shoes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment