Friday, January 1, 2016

New Thoughts in the New Year.

Well hullo there! I haven't seen you since last year.

Haven't heard that one before!

It's still bizarre to think of this as a new year. For me, it's like I just worked a summer shift at the coffee shop!

And I know its been no surprise that I've been slacking as of late. Well, here's the honest truth: I haven't entirely adjusted yet to life in San Francisco. Sure, I've got a pattern of my school, work, and food schedule. But mentally, I've been a bit lost.

I've talked about the loneliness of living in a big city before, and I'm telling you, it's a real thing. I've also struggled a bit with my eating schedule, and I' haven't exercised, besides all the walking I do.

Now I know this is all on my doing and my attitude about it determines a lot. But it's hard sometimes to fight against those wallowing self-pity and lonely thoughts that roll around in my head.

But the fabulous thing about all of this is that I was able to come home and recoup. There is something so incredibly special about coming home to the town that hasn't changed ( maybe a new stoplight) and a home that hasn't changed (maybe some new art on the wall).

Since being home, we've also taken it upon ourselves to partake in a home video marathon, as my dad was very good about keeping records of us as youngins. I don't know what clicked in me, but I realized that there is so much to be happy about in this life. And it all tied back to a conversation I had with a gal in the Anchorage airport. When I told her I was in fashion school, she goes "And you were raised in Alaska?!" It's not about where you were raised honey, only how. A lot of it also has to do with who you are as a person, and looking through these videos, at the big eared girl singing with her Barbie into the fan in Mom's negligĂ©e, I knew even at a young age that fashion was my passion. And being at FIDM in San Francisco, where amazing things have already happened to me, I know I'm in the right place.

On top of this, I was on my way to work with my mom, and a High School Musical song came on (All for One) and I heard the line "It's not about the future, it's not about the past, it's making every single day last!" It's like the universe is speaking to me.

I know it takes time to adjust. But I've used that as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and I truly have the power to fix all of those issues. Loneliness? I've got friends in school and in the Residence Club, all I have to do is speak out! Food? Use that money you've been making and treat yourself to meals out. Or, if you don't want to spend the money, simply go downstairs at the opportune time (i.e. when Sebastiano is cooking pasta for everyone). Exercise? Girl, there are a thousand gyms and yoga studios right outside your door. Ask someone from your Residence Hall to go with you!

See? All it takes is a little perspective and some time spent at home to really change your attitude about these things. And now, instead of dreading (okay, not really to that degree) going back and facing these "challenges", I look forward to how I'm going to adopt to them and use them to the best of my advantage. This is an adventure, Elan! Those past months have been amazing, if not a little mentally rough at times.

Let's make this a great year, my friend.

2016, here Fudge and I come. You see, she's my wingman. She's always got my back..



Festivities began with a (couple) shot (s) of this fine stuff..



Then we had some ice cream cake..


As midnight grew near, fireworks went off in every direction. Remember, we live in a place that gets dark at 4:00 pm. Fudge, however, did not enjoy these festivities and instead hid under objects..


NYE and my sister is puzzling.. No, literally.


As the countdown began, my dad brought out an old bottle of the Dom Perignon.


1998, a good year.


I have a beautiful fascination with the bubbly..



3,2,1.. Happy New Year! *clink*


I myself was feeling pretty bubbly after a couple glasses of the good stuff..





Cheers to a fine new year! 2016: let's make this a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment