Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Orange You Happy.

I just returned from a most lovely weekend away. After midterms and crazy schedules here in the city, I could think of no better excuse to get out of town than my dearest cousin's graduation from high school. I lived with his family my junior year and so I thought it important to be with him on his last day of high school, as I was there for his first day of high school.

Here's the thing: I was not anticipating the reality of change. And with that, I came to the realization that we are all growing up, moving away, starting new chapters of our lives. It's safe to say that I've been hit with graduation smack in the face after coming home from this trip.

I never fully registered the concept of graduating until I saw my cousin walking at the ceremony. But it wasn't just that! My best friend Emma is moving to San Diego next year, and most shockingly is that the house I lived in during my stay in Scottsdale and have spent so many memories in is on the market. Everything around me is adjusting and changing.

And while it is easy to just reminisce about the past and plan for the future, I've realized that the best thing that I can do is to just live in the moment. Wise Lau Tzu once said: "If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the moment."  There's nothing I can do to change the inevitability of things being different, and there's certainly no point in living only in my memories, for if I do either, I'll miss the gift of the present.

I got to spend some quality time with family and friends this weekend. I was able to support my cousin, catchup with my best friend, and catch a few rays. I was able to live one last time at the house I love to much and to eat at my familiar Perk Eatery just down the road. I got to enjoy all the familiarities and take a trip down memory lane. And as much as it frightens me to think about the future and all that will change along with it, I know that it's all for the better and that it will ultimately make me happy. As Socrates said:

"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new."

Speaking of change, we officially got our graduation gowns and caps today and let me tell you, it's really happening! I'm really moving forward..







What I wore: black Tom Ford sunglasses (consignment), rhinestone and pearl vintage necklace (antique store), orange Akira Chicago dress (consignment), orange J Crew scarf, and orange Marco Santi pumps (Nordstrom Rack).

These were a few of my favorite pictures from this weekend!






How about that photobomb?


Buddies for life. I'll see you in London next, Emma!




No comments:

Post a Comment