Thursday, June 16, 2016

The End is Near.

Boy oh boy it's been awhile.

Someone's obviously been haggardly working on finals for the last week and secretly binging on That '70's Show into the wee hours of the morning to let the brain rest.

Yes, that's been me.

It's also been a rough one for the United States this past week, in lieu of some very recent and horrific tragedies. While I would love nothing more than to rant on about the state of our world and the disgust at the freak show of our political scene, this is a place for solace and positivity. And prayers for those who were affected by these past events, especially the Orlando shootings. My heart goes out to you.

Today was a particularly remarkable day. Now officially 3/4 of the way through my finals, I was struck yet again with the lightning bolt of realization that my time here at FIDM is coming to a close. I was just leaving my history class and came to tears with my teacher as she so thoughtfully gave me a book on fashion history and various -isms (seeing as how I dressed to every decade that we discussed in class). She also encouraged me to never lose my sparkle and to always go through life with the enthusiasm and passion that I have.

And then, I was told by my friend Angelina to head over to Bloomingdales to check out a pop-up shop by the lovely Joy Venturini Bianchi (a San Francisco style icon).

Not only did I end up walking home with some incredible vintage treasures and a signed book, but I was inspired in so many ways.

It's incredible to me how profound your passions have influence with your life. I'm always talking about the power of positivity and following what makes your heart sing, but sometimes, words can't describe how incredible it is when things are placed in your path in such a way that encourages you that you're on the right track. When I walked into this place, Joy and I were matching- black and orange. And when she began to talk (she's quite the speaker), it was like everything she was saying was coming right out of my head.

None of us were put onto this earth to float. We all have a purpose in life. She said that one of your life's goals is to wake up and have joy fill your heart. She stressed the importance of bringing joy to yourselves, but also bringing joy to others. She said to stomp on that tape in your head that runs on repeat telling you that you're not good enough, that you don't have what it takes. You do. And those who are passionate enough to follow their hearts will find happiness and will bring inspiration onto others to follow suit.

It was just a magical day. For me, having so many teachers, colleagues, friends, and family believe in me is a blessing. It means nothing though if you don't believe in yourself. And thank goodness I do. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for me and I can't wait to be running my own magazine someday, because I know I will.

To close, I'll end with a quote I found tucked away in this new book of mine, Advanced Style by Ari Seth Cohen:

"There is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans. It is: at the moment that one definitely commits oneself then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidences, meetings and material assistance than could ever have been imagined."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe



No comments:

Post a Comment