Sunday, June 19, 2016

My Californian Experience.

The day after tomorrow. I will be soon departing from this city that I have been able to call my home these last nine months.

Walking amidst the garbage littered streets and through the heated sunrays beating down on my way for coffee this morning, I was also greeted by the familiar sights that I have come to love...

Warriors fans proudly wearing their gear down the streets (you always know when there's a game on based on the blue and gold you see being worn downtown), the tall magnificent buildings in the Financial District, the cable cars zooming past, and the sight of Coit Tower standing proudly over the streets.

As much as I may have complained of my time here (loneliness, smells, garbage), I've come to appreciate all this city has taught me during my stay here. I've come to appreciate what I have back home in Alaska, I've become exposed to many new ideologies and people from all walks of earth, and my mind has expanded just a little bit more.

On top of that, I've really stepped out of my comfort zone.

Take last night: I went out and I had drinks by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

What?

You heard me! Instead of spending one of my last few nights, I was able to have drinks at the Four Seasons with one of my loved coworkers Melissa. Three minutes seated and in strolls the Cav's, LeBron at the helm. And we proceeded to spend our evening in the midst of beautiful, tall, athletic ball players. I'm still rooting for the Warriors, but hey anyway!

It just goes to show that adventures are waiting for you out there if you have the courage to step out of your comfort zone. Moving to San Francisco as a young woman raised in the isolated Alaskan wilderness is way out of my comfort zone, but I relish the opportunities and the experiences I am lucky enough to have.

The world is yours for the taking. There's so much to see, do, eat, and experience out there and as much as you may loathe it at times (like when the nearby bar plays incessantly loud top 40 hits every weekend until two in the morning), it's all worth it in the long run.

Here are some last photos of my last weekend here in the city...






No comments:

Post a Comment