Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Song for Sunday Pt. 2- There is a Light that Never Goes Out.

Complete change of direction here, we're going back to the late eighties, early nineties, to the very British rock band, The Smiths. 

I first heard of The Smiths in one of my favorite movies Perks of Being a Wallflower and was quite taken with their indie and rock sounds, especially in Asleep. I chose this particular song (There is a Light..) today though because I actually heard the lyrics on my way driving home the other day and was struck with how raw and sad they were.

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck 
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure- the privilege is mine..


Makes you want to cry a little, yeah? The sincerity and tragedy of it. I was just sitting there one minute and then my motions stopped and I had to listen. I had never even noticed before and here I was, bawling in the car and the sadness of it all. So there you have it, a little song that makes your heart just kinda.. feel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment