Thursday, July 7, 2016

Home.

I don't think there's anywhere I would rather spend my summer than the beautiful northern lands of Alaska. The wildlife, the rich natural colors of green and purple fireweed, the fresh air through my lungs, and the comfort of being home again.

I've been here just a few days (unpacking of course) and it never ceases to amaze me how some things don't change. Sure, we may get a new stoplight in town, or perhaps there's a surprise dress hanging in my closet, but things remain as I had left them.

Course I'm a changed person. Not entirely, but I've grown since I've been here last and my experiences have made me expand as a person. And naturally, I've become more thoughtful. Being stuck way out in the woods with poor wifi connection has made it really convenient for me to focus on the things that matter, like living in the present, enjoying nightly Mad Men episodes (every season purchased at the closing Blockbuster here, but we still have one more location!), sipping on divine cocktails my sister crafts up, and the enjoyment of nature at its finest and richest just outside my window.

Oh I cannot express to you how much I have needed this refreshment in my life. San Francisco has been a ball, don't get me wrong, but when you're raised in a small town like this, the big city can often seem overwhelming and I miss the solitude and quiet.

Take this morning, for example. So I'm sleeping in with my cat at my feet, and at around 9am, I hear my mother shrieking (no exaggeration necessary) "GET OUT! SHOO! GET OUT OF THERE!" Naturally, I bolt downstairs wondering what the issue is, and there's a momma moose and her two babies eating out of the flower baskets. Granted, they're over one hundred dollars so I can imagine my mother's distress, but I just couldn't get over the fact that it was so Alaskan. Only here would "vandals" be moose vying for something sweet and pretty to eat.

Already my week home has flown, and I just know that my summer will be over in an instant.

In that case, I'm going to enjoy it for all it's worth..





The outfit isn't Alaskan until you've put you're mermaid pin on.



The Kenai Peninsula, my home!




What I wore: vintage all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment