Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Smokin' in Soldotna.

I don't think I can accurately attest that I've ever had a hotter sleep.

This past week has had Alaskans reeling from this wave of heat that has struck the Peninsula. Temperatures have itched in the upper seventies and every day, we've been outside in the bare minimum, enjoying this beautiful summer weather.

It also means that rooms are warmer, especially in the eves. And because the sun doesn't set until past eleven, our rooms have been toasting well into the night.

Yes, last night, I was tossing and turning with bare skin and windows wide open, unable to escape the heat. I guess there's a first time for everything!

Anyhow, with the summer sun comes all of my summer outfits from their winter hibernation. Summer prints, skinny straps, and all of my fine vintage hats. Did I just rhyme? This time of year also brings all the dip-netters down from other parts of Alaska, and so town is pretty much an LA freeway. 

With all of this, I have gotten an influx of comments from passing tourists and friends of mine that go a little something like this:

"Well you're awfully dressed up for Soldotna. Were you raised here?"
"Why so dressed up? You going for afternoon tea in the English Countryside or the Kentucky Derby?"
"This is Alaska, you don't have to dress to impress anyone."

Oh I have been getting that for the majority of my life here in Alaska. "You're wearing jeans? You're now dressed like a normal person!" And I nod and smile and refuse to let it bother me because where you're from does not dictate how you dress. It's inside of you. My personal style is no reflection of my hometown because I dress as opposite as this place does. My personal style comes from within and I enjoy wearing pearls to the grocery store and donning vintage hats with netting when I go to the fishing beaches because it makes me feel good.

Yes, I may not fit in, but I've never been good at that anyway.



Smokin' (my candy cigarette) in Soldotna...





This is one of my favorite parts of dressing up:  Moscow Mules on the chairlift.






What I wore: vintage hat with netting, rhinestone earrings (vintage), black rhinestone studded sunglasses (consignment), blue and white Ted Baker Italy dress ( I loved my job there!), and blue sparkly Ted Baker purse (consignment).





No comments:

Post a Comment