Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Song for Sunday- West Coast.

I thought it fitting to start my one of three song posts today with Lana Del Rey's West Coast.

Are you getting it? So turns out that I'm not the only fan of Lana. Back in Alaska, she wasn't terribly popular, except for her debut in The Great Gatsby singing the effervescent Young&Beautiful. Other than that, I felt like I was the lone star out there who knew about her.

In California though.. a whole new planet. Just in my first week of school, I found that all of my roommates love her, and that one of my new friends is actually going to see her next week. The Queen, she's often dubbed, has certainly swept this area much quicker than up in Alaska!

Anyhow, back to the song choice. So yes, her new album Ultraviolece has just come out and my favorite is definitely West Coast. It has such a sensual and airy feel to it, like all of her songs. It makes me want to cruise by the beach with the top down and the wind in my hair, or take a splash in the waves. It makes me want to be a California girl.

Lana has a way of releasing my inner sensuality, my droopy eyes and big lips... or wanting those things. She's incredibly surreal, very light and feminine. And her voice is this real pretty sound. Like, there's a difference between being sensual- the Nikki Minaj in your face with the big bootay and grinding and loud, and then there's the take-it-slow, blink slowly, sing with a lilting vibrato.. the quieter of the two, I much prefer.

Plus, it really does speak well about California. CA really is an incredible state with the Hollywood, the music scene, the air of endless possibilities. And now, I'm exposed to all of those things, so I guess Lana's song is a perfect fit for my transition.


"... Down on the West Coast, they got their icons
Their silver starlets, their Queens of Saigons
And you've got the music, you've got the music in you, don't you?

Down on the West Coast, they love their movies
Their golden gods, and rock and roll groupies
And you've got the music, you've got the music in you, don't you?"




No comments:

Post a Comment