Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Float Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee.

I was working yesterday, and a customer and I were having a conversation. It got started when we began talking about journaling and then naturally, the subject turned to my magazine.

Shocked as he was that I was from Soldotna ("Ah small town girl with big dreams. Well the outfit makes more sense now", he told me) and wondering what I was still doing here, I explained to him my plan, feeling proud of myself when done.

Then you get the other guy, whom also commented on my outfit and went: "Looks like you have an expensive budget. It'll be easy for you though. All you gotta do is find a rich man to marry and you'll be set!" To that, I promptly replied with a sweet smile: "Or, I can make my own money."

It's about choice, my friends. And it really gets me going when someone implies that because I have expensive tastes, I better find myself a rich husband to help with those tendencies. Oh, and the fact that it "should be easier for me" because I happen to be an attractive woman just makes me more fiery.

We are in the twenty-first century, fighting for our rights to be equal with men and yet there are still so many people out there who legit have this perception that a woman should rely on the man to sustain her exorbitant lifestyle, relying on her youth, her sexiness, and her looks.

And it's not just men. It's women too. I'm perfectly content with a woman making that choice for herself, I'm just against the massive stereotype that we should have to rely on other means in order to live a content life.

I'll float around like a butterfly, being naturally smiley and sweet, but that doesn't mean I'm a pushover. And when it comes to determining my own happiness and not being defined by stereotypes, I will confidently tell you so. 

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. 





Sting like a bee. Or get stung by one!




See, I was not kidding about the plethora of bees and hornets!


What I wore: black Tom Ford sunglasses (consignment), white vintage rhinestone necklace (Mom's), striped black and white Taller Than Your Average bodysuit, chartruse '40's style Robert Rodriguez pants (Nordstrom Rack, $20), vintage France clutch, and white ajfklejklkj with black tips (consignment).

No comments:

Post a Comment