Monday, August 1, 2016

Blogging Brief.

I was having quite a conversation with one of my co-workers today. I was telling her about my blog (you're famous!) and she was asking about advertising and how bloggers make so much money.

Being a recent graduate in the field of marketing, I knew some of the ins and outs, and she asked why I don't follow that path and make some money on the side.

Well. I don't like to follow paths. If a crowd is running forward on a paved road, I'm most likely going backwards, making my own trail in the woods, probably wearing a vintage ballgown and a pair of heels. I've never been much for doing things the traditional way and I see my blog not only as a place to write and express myself freely, but to not follow the stereotypes and not rely heavily on advertising and being a medium for other companies. (not to say I wouldn't, because there are a handful of brands I would more than gladly collaborate with *ahem Ted Baker*).

It actually came to me last night whilst I was watching Confessions of a Shopaholic. There's a line in there where Luke (played by the gorgeous Hugh Dancy) talks about his position as editor. "You hired me to create a product that sells, not to sell a product." In the scene, he's arguing with a higher up boss who's talking about the significance of advertising revenue, conpletely forgoing the concept of what the magazine is about. And Rebecca's job is to tell the truth in which these people (girls like me) can understand when it comes to self financing and how to save successfully. 

See, that's what my blog is about to me. For me, it's about adding value to a reader's experience. It's the hope that I'll inspire someone in a way that isn't directly tied to looks and outward image. That doesn't mean using all text and no images, because I do an awful amount of outfit pics. But the outfit pics have particular significance too. Instead of promoting these crazy beautiful outfit ensembles with a hefty price tag, I'm advocating used, recycled, and vintage clothing in the sense that I'm encouraging expression through style and not necessarily fashion. Remember, fashion is what you buy, but style comes from within. 

And the same concept will be applied to my magazine too, for I don't want to rely on advertising. What matters to me most is to create a successful magazine that hopefully changes the meaning of what it means to be "beautiful" in a society that is so obsessed with image. Perfection is the disease of a nation (BeyoncĂ© lyric) and I want to expose that lyric and inspire others to believe in themselves and to fulfill their lives in a happy and healthy way. 

Again, I am certainly not bashing all those blogs that have the beautiful (and expensive) clothing being advertised, because that's some people's passion. All I'm doing is expressing what passions I have. To each their own.

That being said, today's look was all about used clothing and color (thanks to Confessions of a Shopaholic and Rebecca Bloomwood's vibrant wardrobe).

My sister took pics of me today, which is rare in itself. And, she didn't even ask me to pay her!






And at the end of a long day, it's nice to keep up your heels..


Details, details!


What I wore: mint Nordstrom sunglasses, mint vintage bobble necklace, salmon  top (consignment), denim floral America 21 jacket (consignment), salmon Ted Baker purse (I loved my job!), blue Long Tall Sally skinny jeans, denim Louise et Cie pointy-toed pumps (Nordstrom Rack). 

No comments:

Post a Comment