Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Song for Sunday- Heal.

If I stay on the same film, is that okay?

See what I did there? If I Stay... get it?

Yes, I'm bringing it back to that film. I actually thought this song was part of another movie, but I guessed wrong!

So. The movie. We're getting near the end of the film, and I won't spoil what happens, but at this point, the theatre is full of weeping teenagers and teary-eyed old folks and to end this misty mover, we hear the first notes of Tom Odell's Heal.

Now this song is particularly precious to me, for many reasons. Besides my adoration of all things Tom, this one song has been a go to for me whenever I feel a surge of tears coming on. It is my go to cry song.

We all have those songs, don't we? Sometimes we just need a good cry and this one certainly does the job. Back when I was struggling after my year abroad in Arizona, this was the one I went to. It's fantastic- it's slow and sad enough to fit the already tragic mood I'm in, but it's a song about healing, of getting over that depression. And being the end credits to the movie.. that just made the movie, like cherry on top. It was perfect.

And Tom Odell writes all his own songs. I love his voice, in all of its rawness and beauty.

".. Take my mind and take my pain
Like an empty bottle takes the rain
And heal. 

Take my past and take my sins
Like an empty sail takes the wind
And heal.."




No comments:

Post a Comment