Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Song for Sunday- I'd Rather Go Blind.

Oh we're taking it back old school to the time of blues and soul- late 1960's.
 
 I always thought that I should have been born in a different time period based on my interests and likes in fashion, interaction, people, and most importantly, music. There is just something so incredibly true and real about music from the olden days. Currently, there's so much crabola piled into current songs with auto tuning and a team full of songwriters that I can't tell what's real and what's not. It's incredibly sad. We need to appreciate the vocals of performers, not just the image. So today, we're traveling back.

This song was performed by the incredible Miss Etta James, but the version I want to share with you today is sung by Beyonce in Cadillac Records ( I love her old school singing). I first heard it on my Amy Winehouse Pandora station and was struck by the pure truth and tragedy. The song is your typical bluesy one, but it's the meaning of the song that caught my eye.

It's basically about a woman who would rather go blind than to see her man leave her. It just hits home. Look here:

Whoo, I would rather, I would rather go blind, boy
Than to see you walk away from me, child, no

Whoo, so you see, I love you so much
That I don't wanna watch you leave me, baby
Most of all, I just don't, I just don't wanna be free, no..

And Beyonce's performance in the film is absolute perfection. She pulls of that incredible sing/cry that I like to imitate in my room sometimes. It is definitely one of my jams. It's just tragic, but that's love sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment