Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Song for Sunday- Moon River.

Believe it or not, today is Audrey Hepburn's birthday! Woohoo! Therefore, the song of choice today is none other than her lovely version of Henry Mancini's Moon River. 

Now I didn't just choose this song because it was one that she sang, I've actually had a liking for it for quite some time. Back when I used to take voice lessons, this was one of the very pieces I practiced and has been a favorite of mine whenever I have those singing sessions in my car or in front of the mirror (come on guys, don't we all?). It struck me as really quaint and pretty. And then when I saw Audrey singing it in one of my favorite movies of all time Breakfast at Tiffany's and then I loved the song even more!

She's sitting there so gingerly on her windowsill, longingly singing it and it's just a really nice scene. And Audrey doesn't have that intense technicality in her singing voice, which I adore, because she sings it so uniquely and it's so much her own version. I love that. 

The lyrics just add to the whole package. And I love the way the some of the lines end on a low note, then on a high note. There's so much beauty in this song.

Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after the same rainbow's end, waiting, round the bend
My Huckleberry Friend, Moon River, and me..

No comments:

Post a Comment