Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Wicked.

I seriously went all Halloween style today and I realized something too. Something about inspiration. So I do enjoy looking through magazines even if they do annoy me half the time. Ever notice the pages where they're like "Look! They shop for food like us! They walk their dogs!" Well no friggin' way Jacob! (That line was from an episode of GLEE said so wonderfully by Sue Sylvester). It gets incredibly frustrating to me because celebrities are treated like gods or something that don't do everyday chores. Why do they get treated in such an inhuman way? Anyway, besides that, I was reading some interviews in these magazines and there were a lot of questions along the lines of "Where do you get your inspiration from? Who's your style icon?" And I thought it only right that I should also know some of those simple responses. I may get interviewed one of these days, one never knows! I personally get my inspiration not from certain people, but from everyday things around me. Could be a cupcake, the sunrise colors, my cat, a movie, a song I listened to, or simply what the weather is like and how I feel on that particular day. Of course I have some favorite style icons, most of them being the movie stars of the 50's and 60's such as Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Grace Kelly, and Elizabeth Taylor, but I personally think my style is a jumble of everyday images and feelings, memories and experiences, inspirations from those I see around me, and how I feel emotionally.

So with that in mind, today's inspiration come from one of my favorite Broadway musicals "Wicked." Now I was very fortunate and lucky enough to see the show in Chicago a couple of years back and can only say good things about it. Like I've said in earlier posts, I have a thing for the Wicked Witch of the West and this being her little backstory, I enjoyed the story even more. I especially love it when it gets all climatic in "Defying Gravity" when Elphaba belts those last couple of notes. Ugh. Gives me chills every time! 

So today was all about being wicked and defying.. Well, gravity, and the obstacles that sometimes get thrown our way and how we deal with them. For me, it's sorting through all these college pressures with an open and positive heart and understanding this as a new opportunity and step in my life. 

The one, the only, Wicked playbill. 








What I wore: purple PINK top, long green  VINCE cashmere cardigan (used), BETSEY JOHNSON owl necklace (used), black SPANX high waisted pencil skirt (used), and brown MIZ MOOZ ankle booties (sale at Nordstrom Rack!). 







No comments:

Post a Comment